Work Out to Improve Your Running Performance
My intention was to provide a blow by blow account of the Linschotenloop – a half marathon that I should have run on Saturday the 18th December as part of my marathon training. Just a few hours before we were to run – luckily BEFORE I left the house – the organising team decided to cancel the event due to the snow and ice. Probably a sensible decision at the time. Anyway – a safe one.
So… too dangerous to run outside – then what? Do something inside, of course. So what exercises to do that will support and improve your running? Alvin, one of the trainers at Hermes Sport & Therapie Centrum, helped to prepare a programme that not only helps to strengthen my legs but also improves lung capacity and, so, oxygen uptake.
I also asked him to include some exercises to improve my back muscles and so contribute to increasing my metabolic rate (just increasing muscle/fat ratio should do this).
He advised not just different types of exercise for the various muscle groups but shorter, more intensive sessions. Previously I had been exercising using a series of 2X25x. He advised 3X15x with a rest periods of 30 seconds between each series.
So among others the exercises, all 3X15X consist of:
– Pulley chest extension – carried out with the pulley at stomach height and extending the elbow back (hand perpendicular to the floor)
– free weights chest exercise – lie on back on a bench, begin with weights at shoulder height and extend up to that the weights are almost touching each other
– a fly exercise with a machine, starting with hands in front of you and extending arms backwards
– squats with some 4 – 5 kilo
– leg extension – on the machine
– leg extension/ leg curl machine to strengthen hamstrings
– upright rowing for my back – squeezing my shoulders back
– lat machine
– triceps – with the pulley & rope
– stomach exercises
– back exercise with back extension
By the way – I was saved from the rowing machine as I was told that will only shorten my muscles and I need to lengthen them!
I may not have run 21 + klms but I did get an intensive workout!
- Monday Musings: Thoughts on Fasted Training (marksdailyapple.com)
- EUGENIE JONES: Fitness for Ski Season (kitsapsun.com)
- Top 6 Chest Training Mistakes (projectswole.com)
- “Runner of the Week: Chris Wojtowicz” and related posts (ncrunnerdude.blogspot.com)
- It Took Me 40 Years to Find My Sport And I’m Not Giving Up Now (scrapsofmygeeklife.com)
- Low Impact Exercises for People With Bad Knees (brighthub.com)
- Half Marathon for 2011 (thwaits.wordpress.com)
- Reduce Breathlessness and Improve Lung Capacity (mickirose.wordpress.com)
- The Fitness Workshop: sledding (telegraph.co.uk)
- Train for Life: Running a marathon (charlotte.news14.com)