Tapering before Paris Marathon with East End Gentlemen
It was very strange not to be running a long run in London. Yet I had to do something. Not supposed to be running far so how would I control how far I ran. I am so used to just running and running I rather feared that I would not be able to stop.
Picked up marathon pace – 5,30 – 5,40 and off I trotted. It was really exhilarating. The view of Greenwich, a little further round – a bit messy but the eye in sight and then passed Billingsgate Market. Across Canada Square to the “other side” – LOTS of oarsmen out. Later that day it would be the Heads of River so I guess that they were on the river early to train.
Just at the beginning of this part of the run I past a man in a motorised chair. He had a large black dog trotting along just in front of him. “Good morning” I said, “good morning my dear, don’t worry she won’t hurt you” he said in an East End accent. What a gentleman I thought.
There is another messy bit where the “posh” apartments have “bought” the river front so you have to run along the “back” of the river. Then its back again to river and round to the Thai Elephant. Then up the road towards “home”.
As I approached the turn for home I ran past a man with two white almost bull dogs. “good morning” I shouted – “Alright” he called back in an East End accent. I guess that in the space of about 40 – 50 years – “good morning my dear” became “alright”….!!!
Quick note about small panic – as I realised that I needed a medical certificate for Paris…could have arranged it MONTHS ago – quick rush to the phone and appointment with the doctor on Thursday!! Phew !
PS Figured out how to add my Runkeeper activity: have a look!
- On Tapering and Tapirs (arunnerslife.wordpress.com)
- Cometh the spring, cometh the taper (foot4ward.co.uk)
- Will the Olympics bring change to the East End? (eastlondonwatch.wordpress.com)
- East End’s marathon loss still tarnishes the 2012 Games (guardian.co.uk)
- Last long run before Paris Marathon! (everyrunsawinner.wordpress.com)
- Paris Marathon 2011 (myownparis.wordpress.com)
- Taper Madness (trainingup.wordpress.com)
- 20 Miles! (happytalesblog.com)
- Running total for maths man is eight marathons (thejc.com)